I’ve played in 26 states so far this year with miles to go before I sleep. My next few shows are in Delaware, Maryland and Pennsylvania. The show in Wilmington, DE has special guests Larry Campbell and Teresa Williams who are fellow Red House recording artists. You may know Larry as a very talented producer as well. The next night is an Uptown Concerts show in Fulton, MD with my friend Cheryl Wheeler. This will be very big fun! Sunday I’ll be back at the Spring Gulch Festival. In the beginning of June I’ll be doing a string of shows in Northern Michigan with my friend Amilia Spicer who has a new CD out entitled “Wow and Flutter”.
I found out recently that my newest/oldest recording Before Beginning won an Indie Acoustic Award as best singer-songwriter record of 2016. What a nice thing to be recognized so long after its conception and recording back in 1985!
I’m aiming to do some recording of new material in the weeks ahead. I hope to see you out there somewhere!
This a post from last September. I decided to keep it up a little bit longer. The song is called 5 Letter Word. It is a free download.
This is the cover of my newest/oldest recording entitled “Before Beginning – The Unreleased I Know, Nashville, 1985” on Red House Records. It was recorded & mixed in 5 days in Nashville in November of 1985 and was produced by Jim Rooney. With a new mix by Rob Genadek 30 years later here in Minnesota I thought it was ready to see the light of day. 9 out the 10 songs here were rerecorded on my debut record “I Know” which was released in September, 1987. Before Beginning was released on July 22, 2016. You can find out more about how this recording came to be and listen to the tracks by going to https://www.redhouserecords.com/store/beginning-unreleased-i-know-nashville-1985
Or you Can Buy it right now!
John Gorka’s Family Pierogi Recipe
Pierogi or pierogies are filled dumplings which come from Eastern Europe.
This recipe comes from my father’s side of the family, which is the Polish side. His parents were both born in Poland. The pierogi we are making here feature two different fillings: potato-cheese and sauerkraut & bacon. Prepare the fillings before making the dough. It is the same for both types. Continue reading
The people who inspire me are the ones who have done more with less, and have gone farther, with more in their way — John G.
“Wry, slice-of-life observations reminiscent of Lyle Lovett and John Prine.” — Associated Press
Red House Records is proud to announce the March 4, 2014 release of the new studio album by John Gorka, Bright Side of Down. The first release in over four years from the acclaimed songwriter widely regarded as “one of contemporary folk music’s leading talents” (Vintage Guitar), the album’s 12 songs are beautifully produced and sequenced from beginning to end. With guest vocal appearances by Red House labelmates Lucy Kaplansky, Eliza Gilkyson, Claudia Schmidt and Michael Johnson, the collection resonates with the classic, “Gorka-esque” sound and lyrical insight that’s earned him generations of devoted fans and a career that’s found him gracing the stages of PBS’ Austin City Limits, NPR’s Mountain Stage and venues worldwide.
High Standards, Low Overhead and Realistic Expectations
Top Ten for 2012 (in no particular order)
1. World did not end on December 21.
2. Safe landing of Mars rover “Curiosity”.
3. Returned to Lithuania for the Tai-Asch Festival’s 10th anniversary.
4. Returned to the Netherlands and played in new places including Rotterdam and Joosland.
5. Traveled with the G# guitar and got first tube amp, a 1970 Fender Bronco.
6. Multiple shows with Red Horse, Antje Duvekot, Rose Cousins, Lynn Miles and Michael Johnson.
7. Judy Collins’ memoir “Sweet Judy Blue Eyes”.
8. Learned that sitting is the worst position for your health — (so I’m writing this lying down).
9. Learned that none of us is alone, having trillions of microbes inside and out.
10. The gospel music documentary “Rejoice and Shout”.
11. 25th anniversary of my first record “I Know”.
12. Started working once again with Rob Genadek on my 12th record.
13. A venue used someone else’s photo on a John Gorka show poster.
14. People keep coming to the shows and I keep having fun.
15. Probable discovery of the Higgs-Boson particle.
16. Other habitable planets may be closer than we thought and hoping Earth remains one.