John Gorka’s Family Pierogi Recipe
Pierogi or pierogies are filled dumplings which come from Eastern Europe.
This recipe comes from my father’s side of the family, which is the Polish side. His parents were both born in Poland. The pierogi we are making here feature two different fillings: potato-cheese and sauerkraut & bacon. Prepare the fillings before making the dough. It is the same for both types. Continue reading
The people who inspire me are the ones who have done more with less, and have gone farther, with more in their way — John G.
“Wry, slice-of-life observations reminiscent of Lyle Lovett and John Prine.” — Associated Press
Red House Records is proud to announce the March 4, 2014 release of the new studio album by John Gorka, Bright Side of Down. The first release in over four years from the acclaimed songwriter widely regarded as “one of contemporary folk music’s leading talents” (Vintage Guitar), the album’s 12 songs are beautifully produced and sequenced from beginning to end. With guest vocal appearances by Red House labelmates Lucy Kaplansky, Eliza Gilkyson, Claudia Schmidt and Michael Johnson, the collection resonates with the classic, “Gorka-esque” sound and lyrical insight that’s earned him generations of devoted fans and a career that’s found him gracing the stages of PBS’ Austin City Limits, NPR’s Mountain Stage and venues worldwide.
High Standards, Low Overhead and Realistic Expectations
Top Ten for 2012 (in no particular order)
1. World did not end on December 21.
2. Safe landing of Mars rover “Curiosity”.
3. Returned to Lithuania for the Tai-Asch Festival’s 10th anniversary.
4. Returned to the Netherlands and played in new places including Rotterdam and Joosland.
5. Traveled with the G# guitar and got first tube amp, a 1970 Fender Bronco.
6. Multiple shows with Red Horse, Antje Duvekot, Rose Cousins, Lynn Miles and Michael Johnson.
7. Judy Collins’ memoir “Sweet Judy Blue Eyes”.
8. Learned that sitting is the worst position for your health — (so I’m writing this lying down).
9. Learned that none of us is alone, having trillions of microbes inside and out.
10. The gospel music documentary “Rejoice and Shout”.
11. 25th anniversary of my first record “I Know”.
12. Started working once again with Rob Genadek on my 12th record.
13. A venue used someone else’s photo on a John Gorka show poster.
14. People keep coming to the shows and I keep having fun.
15. Probable discovery of the Higgs-Boson particle.
16. Other habitable planets may be closer than we thought and hoping Earth remains one.